Friday, August 26, 2016

Friday! Whatever...

It's Friday again. I like Fridays, but these days I am not sure why. Maybe it is because I am conditioned to like Fridays. Growing up Friday was the last day of the school week. That had a great feel to it. Friday evening it was time to party, okay that added to the good feelings. I now work on weekends. Friday is like Tuesday used to be. No one really cares about Tuesday.

I am really tired of conditioned responses. And we are being conditioned to respond. Today on the Today show, there was a report about able body models posing as disabled athletes. Oh the outrage! Right off the bat, Matt and Savannah were "What?!?" as if a major national incident just happened. How dare this marketing company do this? Well it turns out that, it is okay with the people who are para-athletes. Oh they are? Well where is the story then folks? It is a non issue being blown out of proportion by the media.

I am careful about what I say. I don't want to come across as insensitive. Lately I am getting to the point where I don't give a fig, whether you like what I have to say or not. And I have noticed that you really don't care what I think either. So we are even. If I make an off color joke, and by off color I am talking about anything from race, religion or gender. Maybe I am talking about a whiter shade of pale. It really doesn't matter, if you are offended by my sense of humor I don't care.

I care about things that make a difference. For example, someone parked their car in front of my mailbox. The mail carrier (note there is gender neutrality there, I did that for you. I really am a nice guy.) could not deliver my mail. But that person did deliver a note saying mail could not be delivered because the path was blocked. That my friends is an issue! I'm sorry you can't have your mail, but here is a note saying why. Gone are the days when the postal workers would fight the elements that be to make sure the mail was delivered. I have to be careful though, I don't want to piss off the Post Office.

I noticed that I cringe when I am a passenger in a car and the driver is raging. I think that is another conditioned response. Road rage is a problem unless I am driving. Then it's just a guy pointing out how stupid the other drivers are. There it is. The reality of this is really about me. You can say I am not the center of the universe, but I don't believe you. All I have is my reference point. What this means is I will consider myself free to say yes when everyone is shaking their heads no or vice versa. I am going to get rid of responding a certain way just because I am conditioned to. And it starts now. Friday! whatever...

1 comment: